Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default plans for acoustic computer enclosure?

Bill wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
IF the machine doesn't need 3d accelerated graphics or full motion
video, then a thin client might be a possibility--there are several
ways to set that up--a netbook or a mini-itx system does fine as a
thin client and they
can be made as quiet as a lamp, while you can put the main machine in
another room.

If you haven't checked out http://www.silentpcreview.com you might
want to.
Search that site with keyword "wood" and you'll find some discussion
of wooden cases and some articles by people who have tried them.

If your objective is to do a woodworking project by all means have
at it, but if the objective is to have a quiet machine in a
reasonable time then I
think that buying one is going to be a better plan.

I have not read all of the posts in this thread. But, if one's
objective is to have
a quiet machine, then building one with a graphics cards having
ambient cooling
is a good start. Giga-byte makes some. I think their URL is
giga-byte.com I like mine. If you want a quiet machine, you will
probably need to build it yourself.
The specifications of most components will list their sound level in
db.

As may have been pointed out, "water cooling" may offer the quietest
system--but
I'm not willing to bother with that yet.

Reviewing the entire thread it's clear that the OP doesn't want a quiet
machine, he wants a cabinet to hold a noisy one.

Googling "DIY computer isolation box" will yield a good deal of useful
material.