Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Electricital question

Charles U Farley wrote:

Does this sound adequate?

Adequate I guess for what you have mentioned - so far.
Personally I like to size home shops for 60 amps. That allows a buzz
box welder or 5hp compressor motor to be used without trouble. There's
nothing like finding a great deal on a tool and realizing you don't have
enough juice to run it. #2 aluminum would be good for 60 amps at that
distance, probably similar price to the #6 copper.

60A may be plenty for a home shop woodworker, but is pretty feeble for a
home shop metalworker. I ran a 125A sub panel for my shop, and can
readily push it to near capacity (intermittent) if I'm doing heavy
welding + shop lighting + shop A/C.