Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Condensing boiler in cellar?

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:00:21 +0100, Nick Holmes wrote:
However, I am struggling with the twin issues of condensate drain and
pressure relief discharge. If I understand correctly, the condensate
could be run into a syphonic trap with a pump to periodically discharge
it. Can this discharge be connected to an external cast iron soil pipe
(which in our 1906 build carries both bath(shower) outflow and foul
water from 2nd floor toilet (incidentally Cambridge's
edwardian/victorian houses have combined surface and foul water
connections to mains drainage which would not be permitted in a modern
property)).

Do you mean "can" is in will it work? Or "can" as in is it legal?

Like bof, we've got a unit of about 8x4x4" with a pump which traps
condensate and pumps it up about 8' (and sideways about 10') to the cast
iron waste pipe via a narrow bit of yellow-tinted translucent tubing.
Seems to kick on for a couple of minutes a couple of times a day.

Can't comment on the legality though as a) I'm in the US and b) we have a
private septic system...

cheers

Jules