Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Question: Listening For Water Leaks?

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 11:16:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 1 Oct, 19:49, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Did some jobs last year for a lady who worked for the local water companys
leak detection unit. They used sticks, electronic detectors & believe it or
not - dowsing rods. She swore blind they worked a treat. I have my doubts.

One of our neighbours does this. Quick stuff is the electronic gadget,
harder stuff is a stick in the ear.

Then if it desn't work, you get out the dowsing rods. This gives you
time to think, and it also makes the awed audience shut up for a bit,
so you can actually hear the water.

The odd thing is that Randi makes the point that a dowsing system is
actually something held at a point of extreme instability..the slightest
vibration can cause the rods to twitch.. I wonder if its nothing more
than a vibration detector.

A lot of vibrations from water would be less than those from roads, unless
the leak is close and a a reasonable rate.

There's a place NE of Doncaster that found and aquifer with v. good water
in it and now sells the water. Given that this is flat land and used to
have a lot of leaking septic tanks, this is remarkable.
Some water was found about 10 - 15ft. down; drilling a bit further found
nothing. A dowser was called in and he found the shallow source
immediately. He then moved around and found more places - enough to get
some sort of line. He reckoned that it was about 80ft. down and so it
proved.
What surprised me was that there was good water and any flow at that depth,
as the area is about 5m above sea level.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.