Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams michael adams is offline

Default Metric on tape measures

"Bolted" wrote in message
On 1 Oct, 22:24, "michael adams" wrote:
"Bolted" wrote in message

On 1 Oct, 20:06, "michael adams" wrote:

O.K. so why not buy a metric only tape measure instead ? Except that all
the metric only tapes only have the scale on only the one edge - again the
bottom edge which is most inconvenient. They compensate for not giving the
you the imperial scale at the top by giving you bigger numbers. Basically
the metric only tape is the combination tape with the imperial scale
removed from the top edge of the printing plate.

Fisco do metric only, with scales both edges, eg the Big T

Thanks for that. I checked the Buck and Ryan website earlier and only checked
the Big T which seemed a bit unclear\doubtful, but on checking the Fisco Unimatic
just now it clearly does have markings on both edges.

http://www.buckandryan.co.uk/product...369/sn/FSCUM5M

So thanks again.

michael adams

I think most of their tapes are availaible in either format, give them
a call and find who has bought m/m stock of the one you want in the
last few months - and hope someone has!

I'm lucky as I'm only a train ride away from Buck and Ryan's two branches in
London. And other similar outlets. Its only the local DIY sheds which are a first
port of call, that I find rather depressing. I've also sometimes ordered stuff on
the B&R* website which wasn't in stock in the shop and collected it few days later.

I've also noticed they stock a Stanley Metre Rule in stainless steel which has the
metric on the top, which is unusual, for Stanley. Although as a "metre rule" its maybe
intended for a purely European Market. Although being etched and shiny rather than
matt and simply printed like the cheap and cheerful Wickes aluminium rule its probably
a bit harder to read in all types of light, even if it will last for centuries.

http://www.buckandryan.co.uk/product...9/sn/STA035343

Maybe its just as well I only buy new rules and tapes every 20 years or so,

*This isn't puffing B&R as nowadays their shops which are smaller are mainly full
of top of the range powertools and high margin items and are a shadow of what the
main B&R shop used to be. Before a succession of buyouts and takeovers. Also you
can sometimes wait two weeks for stuff to arrive at the shop from the supplier.

michael adams