Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default Electricital question

That #6 will have ~.5 ohms impedance /1000 ft or ~ .1 ohms for your
200' [Assumes single conductors) at 35 amps (more than you should ever
draw with your breakers) you have 3.5 V drop on each leg, or 7 V
total. If your Voltage is already down to 200V, that would give you
only 193V at that load.

"SteveB" wrote:

FACTS:

I need to run about 190' from breaker box to my shop. I have a double pole
breaker on a 200 (+ or -) v. that says 30 on each leg.

In the shop, I will be running a SP175+ 220v MIG Lincoln welder rated at 22
amps, but that only when cranked fully open. Most of the stuff is half
that. I will be running about four shop lights, radio, and a power tool or
two at any given time. My electrician buddy has suggested IIRC a #6 wire.

Does this sound adequate? Do I get the bundled wire, or use the separate
strands? How much voltage drop on that far? Is #6 marginal, or should I
slightly oversize?

Mike (my electrician) will put the right thing, but I just wanted to start
shopping and getting prices together. BTW, does anyone know what #6 copper
solid strand goes for now? There would be just about a 200' run.

I did get about 800' of 2.5" underground conduit for free, so that helped.

Steve

jk