Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question: Listening For Water Leaks?

wrote:
SantaUK wrote:
We just had two guys going round our cul-de-sac lifting all the
incoming water mains covers and sticking a pole down the hole, and
listening into a big sucker on the other end. What are they
listening for?

--
Regards

SantaUK

It's a characteristic 'hissing' noise and the very traditional device
is known as a 'listening stick'. The old hands can find leaks more
reliably than the modern electronic 'cross correlators'.

Did some jobs last year for a lady who worked for the local water companys
leak detection unit. They used sticks, electronic detectors & believe it or
not - dowsing rods. She swore blind they worked a treat. I have my doubts.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk