Posted to misc.consumers.house
CodeBot CodeBot is offline

Default Cat Urine smell or mold?

We just bought a house. The previous owners had several cats and a
bird. The cats were all living in the basement and when we inspected
the house the first time the basement smelled of the cats. We
naturally assumed the smell was cat urine. However, the smell sort of
reminds me of a musty mold smell. Is there a way to be sure that this
smell is from cat urine or from mold without ripping up the carpeted
basement floor?? Is there a device that can pick up mold? Possibly a
Hydrometer??

The basement is fully finished and has new carpet.

Thanks for any advice.