Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Lifting a manhole cover

On Oct 1, 10:42 am, "Nick" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

Here is the cover just starting to lift:
http://i38.tinypic.com/28i6j4m.jpg

Good work that man.
Also delighted to see that you are using a Barrett (Duff-Norton type) jack.

I still use these, they are invaluable, but the elfin safety would blow a
gasket if they knew of such goings-on.

It's a ratchet jack rather than a screw jack. I've restored 8 of them
by taking them apart and replacing the odd part. We have one 10 ton
screw jack which is really slow to wind up. While raised, it can be
wound sideways as well.
You'd think it would be ideal for putting a tram back on its rails,
but there's usually nowhere solid to put the jack. We use a crane
instead

Around here the utility companies use a metal framed, hydraulically powered
gadget to lift a manhole or inspection cover.

Damn, now that you mention it we do have a hydraulic jack on wheels
that I could have used!