Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rush14 rush14 is offline

Default Practical LED illumination issues

On Sep 30, 3:55*am, D Yuniskis wrote:
Hi,

Motivated by the CFL thread, I'm looking for info on
fabricating "light panels" for use under kitchen
cabinets. *Typically, low profile fluorescent fixtures
are used in these places. *But, they often require
the addition of a molding to completely conceal their
presence. *This reduces the working distance between
the countertop (which is fixed by the height of the
"base cabinets") and the underside of the "wall
cabinets" (which is fixed by the height of the ceiling!).

One amusing approach considered was to use the backlight
assemblies out of LCD monitors (i.e., remove the active
display and just use the CCFL's with the mechanical
diffuser). *While this would be an amusing approach, I
don't think it practical. *: *(I'm not keen on having
all that high tension wiring around *water*!)

The next approach was a panel made of (white) LEDs
possibly embedded in some white/opaque plastic to
produce a luminous surface. *This would probably lose a
fair bit of light due to the diffuser.

Another approach was to just tightly pack LEDs in a
linear array (similar to a fluorescent tube in mechanical
design) and attach *that* to the cabinet underside.

But, I am unsure of how realistic such an approach would
be. *The total light available would be an issue as would
the power requirements and the heat dissipation. *Cost,
of course, is also an issue.

Aside from empirical testing, I'm at a loss as to how to
evaluate this approach without investing lots of time
and/or money.

Thanks!

I may have found just the thing you're looking for. Inexpensive LED
modules, 3 LEDs per module, low current, made by OPTEK and available
from Allied Electronics. They operate on 12VDC and come in various
colors including cool white. I use them for landscape lighting. Here
is a web page you can get all the info about them:

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Sea...mary&Ntt=ovm12