Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Practical LED illumination issues

Arfa Daily wrote:
"D Yuniskis" wrote in message

The next approach was a panel made of (white) LEDs
possibly embedded in some white/opaque plastic to
produce a luminous surface. This would probably lose a
fair bit of light due to the diffuser.

Another approach was to just tightly pack LEDs in a
linear array (similar to a fluorescent tube in mechanical
design) and attach *that* to the cabinet underside.

Aside from empirical testing, I'm at a loss as to how to
evaluate this approach without investing lots of time
and/or money.

LED 'tubes' for under-cabinet illumination, already exist, I believe. Seem
to think that I've seen them in Ikea. Go take a look at their website

I'll have a look. I was aware there were options like this
available commercially. But, assume they will be way too expensive
(based on normal rates of markup)