Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Lifting a manhole cover

On Oct 1, 1:30 am, Tim W wrote:
Matty F
wibbled on Wednesday 30 September 2009 13:49

On Sep 30, 11:58 pm, Tim W wrote:
Matty F
wibbled on Wednesday 30 September 2009 12:38

cover.
Here is the cover just starting to lift:
http://i38.tinypic.com/28i6j4m.jpg

I've ground the edges of the cover with an angle grinder and put CRC
on it!

Why are you fiddling with railway (or tramway) lines - do tell...

I've got the job of devising the mechanism that makes the points flip
from one side to the other without stopping in the middle.
It involves a spring!

Cool.

Is it a tram, preserved line or do you work for the mainline railways?

It's a tramline. There are 8 lines going to trambarns, and each needs
the points to be changed when the trams are put away each day.