Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Lifting a manhole cover

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 04:38:54 -0700, Matty F wrote:
Eventually, put a 5 ton jack under the crowbar, and the cover lifted
up.
I estimate that I applied about a 1 ton force with the jack, and the
4:1 leverage of the crowbar made it about a 4 ton pull to lift the
cover.

Heck - I'm surprised it didn't just pull the whole surround out of the
ground, too. That sounds seriously jammed...

(rail noticed in the photo too, as Tim did - if the spring idea doesn't
work out, maybe some sort of heavy weight that can flip between two
positions, moved by a cunning arrangement of levers so it doesn't require
much effort?)

cheers

Jules