Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heat loss up chimney

In article ,
"R D S" writes:
We have a living flame gas fire in our front room. I only ever use it in
desparation and then only on low.

I am about to put a radiator in that room which will complete the central
heating I started nearly 15 years ago! I wonder how much of the heat from
the rad is simply going to dissapear up the chimney, I am guessing it will
be quite a bit.

Anyone any real life experience of this? I have looked at numbers on the net
but these are from people selling solutions.

When I did my calcs, I recall seeing 1kW suggested as the heat loss
up an open flue (when no fire alight).

Unless you remove the fire and cap off the gas, I'm pretty sure
you will be forbidden from blocking the flue off in any way.
Comes under the "how to die fast" heading.

--
Andrew Gabriel