Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davy Davy is offline

Default Sikkens vs. Ronseal exterior on a hot ledge

Adrian C wrote in news:7i41gqF2vko0nU1
@mid.individual.net:

I've got iroko timber around my south facing aluminium windows that

I've
just sandpapered off the old mahogany coloured varnish. It's a hot

ledge
when the sun is glaring at it (as it is today).

This varnish previously had been a mix of Ronseal exterior painted

on
top of older Sikkens Cetol HLS / Filter, and was cracking quite

badly so
it had to go. I've still got tinned remains of both Ronseal &

Sikkens
(last used 2003) in the tool shed.

So... which do I use?

Ronseal: Lasts 5 years (it sez on the tin), Dry and recoatable in 6
hours, in the future lightly rub down and recoat with same is

minimal
fuss. It's not expensive.

Sikkens: Lasts ?, needs 16 hours wait between coats, needs one coat

of
HLS and two of filter, in the future I'd only be happy stripping off

bare wood to do it again. Costs a bit more. Lots.

Of course, I have a question mark above. How long does Sikkens

normally
last in the glare of the unforgiving sun? In terms of wood

protection,
it its use justified over Ronseal?

I have tried using Sikkens HLS followed by Filter. The problem is
that after a few years when it cracks you have to rub down; in some
places to the HLS coat in other to bare wood. So what do you then?
Spot touch up the bare wood with HLS followed by Filter 7 all over or
just chance it with an all over coat of Filter 7? Its not practical,
so better to use a single layer treatment.
My personal experience is that Sikkens is superb on rough sawn timber
but mediocre on planned timber - especially poor on horizontal
surfaces such as cills.
DAvy