Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radon mitigation

On Sep 29, 7:05*pm, "John Gilmer" wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

Jack wrote:
I've got to have the radon problem taken care of in my house. *Where is
the real "cost" of the project? *Is it putting in the pit, running the
pipe, the expertise, etc, etc.? The reason I ask is I have a sump pit
already available, a pipe that runs through the house to the attic, and
the electrical hookup. *I think I just need a pipe from the pit, a fan in
the attic, and the hole punched in the roof. * Getting estimates next
week.

Thank you for your time.

Not speaking from expertise but it's just ventilation and venting of gas.
Don't know how serious your problem is but I would do minimal required.
Some stuff I've seen appeared to be overkill and generally not being an
emergency you could take your time, maybe doing minimum and retesting.

You might want to minimize use of the basement and add insulation between
the basement and the first floor (ASSuming that's your situation). * *If
your furnace is in the basement the compustion air alone will take out a lot
of the radon. * It will tend to suck air out of the living spaces where is
is replaced by window/door leakage. * If you have some kind of air exchange
for your home make the intake as far above ground as you can manage.

Radon is very heavy and tends to stay in the low spots. * On "good days" you
might want to air out the basement and even the whole house.

Radon itself isn't the problem. * But radon is subject to radioactive decay
and it leaves single atoms of very bad stuff that will either be absorbed in
your lungs or settling down to increase the "background radiation."

I put a 4in duct from a new hole I made in my sump pump cover up to
the basement ceiling and then over and out the side of the house
behind some very large and dense shubbery. I put a "duct-booster fan"
in the 4in line that is permantently on as long as there is
electricity. Since most of my radon came in with groundwater, (my
pump runs summer and winter at least once an hour) the fan blows out
the radon before it leaks into the actual house. I don't lose much
heat as the rest of the sump cover is closed and so the vacuum caused
by the fan isn't allowed to suck heated air from the house.

Radon stays consistently below 3 where it was slightly above 4
previously consistently.