Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default About that noise......

In article ,
Wild_Bill wrote:

The frige I have that's maybe 12 years old or more, sometimes makes a
gurgling or percolating noise after running the cooling cycle.

I don't know what the noise is, but it's been doing this for years.

It also makes a loud popping noise sometimes, like someone else suggested,
that almost sound like spot welds being separated or shot with a BB gun
(fairly loud), but no operational symptoms have been noticed.

It might be worthwhile to do some curent checks, or get a Kill-A-Watt meter
to see if there are any irregularities to be concerned about, but it's only
a mildly annoying situation.

http://searchwarp.com/swa84191.htm may have some leads.

The gurgling-after-motor-shutoff is apparently fairly common (I've
heard it from a number of refrigerators) and is described in the cited
article as "Primarily the sound of refrigerant evaporating (boiling)
as it enters the cooling coils."

The popping/cracking: icemaker? or the coil-defrosting cycle as
suggested in the cited article?

Another possibility: on most refrigerators the outside (heat-dumping)
coils of the compressor system are mounted on a metal gridwork, which
is fastened to the rear or bottom of the chassis. As the coils and
gridwork heat up (when the compressor is running) and cool down (after
the compressor shuts off) there's likely to be a fair bit of thermal
expansion/contraction, which will put some stress on whatever
arrangement is used to mount or clamp the coils and grid to the
chassis. Possibly something in this mounting is snapping back and
forth or working mechanically, to relieve the stress - this would
cause the whole coil/grid assembly to "ring" loudly.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO