Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default What can I do to keep this board from warping?

I'd probably try a couple of methods which may or may not help. In welding,
the welds are often alternated from one side to the other, as the cooling
phase causes distortion. The alternating method minimizes distortion.

Another method that I'd consider, would be to raise some of the axial-lead
components slightly above the board surface, where space permits. A shim of
file folder material may be enough to leave a small gap, so the lead
positions wouldn't be so rigid. (the shim removed after the solder cools).

Jumper wires (soldered with a shim underneath them, or a slight hump) placed
laterally where they wouldn't interfere with other components or signals,
may add some flexibility to the overall assembly.

--
Cheers,
WB

"mickgeyver" wrote in message
I'm trying to make a 10x scope probe that is capable of dealing with
slightly higher voltage levels of about +/- 20v yet at a high
impedance ~20Meg. This link "http://picasaweb.google.com/
UncleAltheKiddiesPal/Probe?feat=directlink" has some photo's showing
the probe and board warpage. The board was made from double sided
0.020-inch stock etched with a PCB milling machine (perhaps part of
the problem). It is (obviously) hand assembled. I would appreciate
any tips or techniques that I could use to keep this board from
turning into a potato chip during assembly.

Thank you.

al