Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Help with mounting light on metal building

On Sep 29, 5:30*am, stryped wrote:

The siding can be patched with a small scrap if necessary,

Can I cut these pieces with my jig saw or is there somethign else that
will work better?

A circular saw with one of the metalcutting abrasive blades is a good
solution. Sparks will fly, don't cut near flammables or dry grass.
You'll need to put a board atop the ribs to give the saw a flat guide
surface, and extend the blade by the board thickness plus rib height
plus a bit.

I also bought one of those wet location boxes with the two ears to
mount on top of the metal as everyone here said. My plan is to run pvc
conduit to the openign in the back of the fixture. Do I have to use a
screw in fitting into the threaded portion of the back of this outside
box?

Most such boxes I've seen have threaded fittings; you can use a short
PVC molded pipe nipple threaded on both ends, OR the PVC conduit
with a threaded fitting (and the irritating diameter change). Never
glue
the threads.