Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Rolling your own soldering tip

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

wrote in message
.
.. On 28 Sep, 09:10, "N_Cook" wrote:
WW wrote in message

"Bob AZ" wrote in message

m...
Are these typically made of copper
and then plated with something? Does anyone who's done this have
any tips (no pun intended) for me?

Smitty

We routinely sent out our tips to be silver soldered. Never any
probems. We did this in the 60s and I am sure they still do them
this way. After we got a good mechanical technician he silver
soldered them. No big deal. The silver solder was the type used
in refrigeration tubing soldering.

Bob AZ

Bob... I have been coating mine with silver solder for many years.
They

last
a LONG time. WW

How can a "coat" of silver solder work? it will admix/dilute with the
next loading of SnPb solder let alone Pb-Free

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list

onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

The term "silver solder" has two meanings: Traditionally, and what Bob
means, it is a high temperature (450 deg C) alloy used with a
blowtorch for brazing. But it has recently been introduced for a low-
temperature lead solder replacement, causing frequent confusion.

Chris (whose first soldering iron was a Remploy. It may still be
around somewhere.)

But 450 deg C is not that much higher than electronics soldering iron
temperatures of 370 to 420 deg C, I take it that is enough margin
under brazing rod type silver solder, in practise.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

there's "silver solder" and silver-BEARING solder,like the 3% Ag that TEK
used for their ceramic strips in tube and 400 series scopes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik