Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Foo Foo is offline

Default Pressure washer capacitor replacement

On 2009-09-29, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 22:29:28 +0000 (UTC), Foo wrote:

In the meantime, I was thinking about an alternate solution to avoid
damaging my capacitors: since the motor seems able to run without them,
what if I disconnect them after it's started?

Alternatively, I'd like to know what would happen if I use less capacitance,
using 2x13uF or 14uF only. Will it be a power/performance problem or will
something get damaged?

Do yourself a favor and try to find a replacement of value within the
rated specs. The motor needs that cap to start and run if it is not
designed to disconnect after startup.

You have to weigh the cost of a replacement cap against:

1. Risk of electrocution (priority)
2. Risk of motor damage
3. Do I really need a pressure washer
4. What would it cost to replace the whole thing.

Caps are generally available as either exact factory replacement
(recommended) or OEM if you do a little homework.

Yes, of course. I seldom use this pressure washer and don't have the right
capacitor at hand. To be honest, it was more a "what if?" question to try
to use what I have here and understand what could go wrong.

Thanks.

--
Foo