Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Kenmore Microwave Oven goes belly up - twice in 2 years.

I'm reporting you to SPCEP, or Society for Prevention of
Cruelty to Exclaimation Points.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"stan" wrote in message

I agree with Jon. The innards of a microwave CAN be lethal.
That
doesn't mean any more than standing under car on a lift WILL
be
lethal!
BTW I am a retired electronics and radio transmitter
technician and
manager!
But it is very much the sense and capability of the d-i-yer
that comes
into play. e.g.
I have one neighbour about whom every one shudders when he
even looks
at electrcity, no matter how often you try to teach him.
He's the kind
that says "Well can I put a screwdriver between there and
chassis. My
brother says that will test the high voltage !!!!!". He is
dangerous
with any voltage over 12 volts and he doesn't even
understand that
unless he can clearly see a broken off or corroded wire on
his truck!
Recently an acquaintance asked us to 'look at' his favourite
microwave. He'd opened it and couldn't find the problem. He
felt it
could be the control board!!!!!
My son, also a technician, and I fixed it in about 15
minutes on the
kitchen table; a bad door micro-switch! The control board
and the hi-
voltage and magnetron circuit worked fine once we replaced
the
defective micro-switch (I have a jar of used ones salvaged
from old
m.waves). While working on it we defeated the hi voltage to
the
magnetron. For safety.
When the owner had reassembled his m.wave he had not put the
cover
back on correctly and there was a potential leak on the
right hand
edge very close to the door opener and close to where one
would put a
hand to program or switch off! The 'edges' of the cover and
the case
were improperly meshed ............... Strewth; do wish
people
wouldn't touch stuff they don't understand!
For example I know nothing about automatic transmissions so
I would
not 'go at' one. I'm also a very poor plasterer, so hands
off.
Everyone having fun? Within their capabilities.