Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap Andy Cap is offline

Default Heat loss up chimney

R D S wrote:
We have a living flame gas fire in our front room. I only ever use it in
desparation and then only on low.

I am about to put a radiator in that room which will complete the central
heating I started nearly 15 years ago! I wonder how much of the heat from
the rad is simply going to dissapear up the chimney, I am guessing it will
be quite a bit.

Anyone any real life experience of this? I have looked at numbers on the net
but these are from people selling solutions.

Ta.

I have an open gas fire and have constructed a custom-made board, backed
with foam, that lodges against the flue plate, supported at the back by
a hinged "leg". I have now used it for about ten winters and am
convinced it is worthwhile as I can feel the draft when it's removed.
Obviously there needs to be a safeguard, such as a bright red stripe or
hanging ribbon possibly, to ensure no one uses the fire with it in
place. In fact, if there was children in the house, I doubt I would use
it at all. Also, blocking a chimney can cause condensation and so it
important it's removed once winter's over. I have had no problems
whatsoever.

Andy C