Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Radon mitigation

On Sep 29, 8:17*am, "Jack" wrote:
I've got to have the radon problem taken care of in my house. *Where is the
real "cost" of the project? *Is it putting in the pit, running the pipe, the
expertise, etc, etc.? The reason I ask is I have a sump pit already
available, a pipe that runs through the house to the attic, and the
electrical hookup. *I think I just need a pipe from the pit, a fan in the
attic, and the hole punched in the roof. * Getting estimates next week.

Thank you for your time.

The real cost is the additional heating & cooling costs you'll
incure. Running the fan sucks air from in your house and pumps it
outside.

You probably shouldn't run the pipe from your sump pit. All that damp
air probably isn't good for the fan. There is also the remote chance
that if the water gets high enough it will block the pipe.

Every situation is different but here is what I did:
Sealed sump pit. (I don't have a water issue)
Drilled hole in the basement slab (multiple small holes then broke out
the middle)
You need to get down to the gravel below the slab
Inserted 4" pvc into slab and caulked around it
Ran pipe out into garage and mounted the fan in garage (outside the
living area)
Ran pipe out through garage roof
This was ok for me because I had no nearby windows
Mounted a manometer to the pipe in the basement
You can buy fancy alarms and other items but this is cheap &
accurate
http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php...product=173613

When summer came the pipe in the garage and outside would sweat
because of all the cold air I was blowing out.
Called the place I bought the fan from and they told me to sprinkle
mortar all around the slab except a foot in each corner and spary
gently with water. Once I did this the pipe wasn't nearly as cold and
lowered my reading even more.

I don't remember the exact reading was but I cut my readings well
below the *danger* level.

The whole thing cost me less than $300 including the 4" hole saw I
used to make the hole in the roof.

The costs vary greatly depending on your home's construction but
googling puts a reasonable cost at $2,000 unless you have unique
construction.