Posted to alt.home.repair
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Help to mount light on metal pole barn

On Sep 28, 1:44*pm, Joe wrote:
On Sep 28, 7:59*am, stryped wrote:

I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

Repair the sheet metal with a neat patch (aluminum pop rivets). New
material should be available at box stores, maybe call the
manufacturer. Since you're two using floodlights, simply mount two
boxes to the flats on either side of the rib. looks good, symmetrical,
and sturdy if you tie the two together in the back with a metal
brace.

Joe

Well, I think I messed it up too much. I am going to try to replace
the two pieces of metal. I have to full length pieces left over from
when it was built.

Can I cut these pieces with my jig saw or is there somethign else that
will work better?

I also bought one of those wet location boxes with the two ears to
mount on top of the metal as everyone here said. My plan is to run pvc
conduit to the openign in the back of the fixture. Do I have to use a
screw in fitting into the threaded portion of the back of this outside
box? The reason I ask is I intend to drill a hole through the metal as
close to the outside diamter of the conduit as I can. If I have a
threaded fitting, wont that outside diameter be different that the pvc
pipe attached to it. it is hard to explain but I hope you understand.