Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Charles U Farley[_3_] Charles U Farley[_3_] is offline

Default Help with mounting light on metal building

stryped wrote in news:531f9ba7-8464-46ca-957e-
:

I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

Those fixtures barely cover a box, letalone overlap siding for a
weathertite seal. I'd not try to recess a box.

If one of these will sufficiently cover the hole you started...
http://www.rabweb.com/product_line_d...rodline=RNDBOX
Mount one over your hole and enter the wire from the back with some duct
seal or silicone. Use a couple bits of aluminum or PVC tubing the height
of the ribs to act as spacers behind the mounting ears. Run the screws
through the ears, tubing spacers and into the steel.
The siding can be patched with a small scrap if necessary, hopefully it
would be a small patch hidden behind the box.

Aim for slightly offcenter and not on a rib next time?