Posted to alt.home.repair
RF RF is offline

Default Kenmore Microwave Oven goes belly up - twice in 2 years.

RF wrote:
Don Phillipson wrote:
"RF" wrote in message

I have discovered which oven not to buy but it's a bit late now.
The Model Number is: 72163252301 and, within the warranty, it made a
loud pop, then started a very loud buzzing and finally a smell of
burning plastic. I pulled the cord and brought it back to Sears. A week
later I had it back. That is just about a year ago and it now has

repeated.

Inspect the unit looking for indications its fire safety was
tested by the Underwriters Electrical Laboratory or something
similar. If not, your local fire service may be able to advise
where to send it.

Thanks to everyone for the discussion.

The only safety factor mentioned on the oven is that it is UL Listed.

This is a comment from Sears:
"Sears offers a great website where you can ask expert technical
questions, search for answers from other homeowners, find product
manuals and trouble shooting guides. All of this and other great advice
and ideas can be found at www.managemyhome.com!"

Has anyone visited "this great website" and found some useful info?

Many thanks again to all. Some good news.

I went through my files and found the report on the last repair. The
problem was:

"107 Found diode shorted and arcing."

The part number is 6851W1A002A and it costs about $8.

Now to pick it up. It also has me wondering how long this one will last.
This will be the third diode in 30 months. Seems to me like this product
is undersized or similar.