Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default About that noise......

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 22:59:36 -0500, "Deke" wrote:

A 1997 GE refrigerator, 20.6 cf, model # TBX21C1, frost free, ice maker,
and
it works perfectly, and very quietly.....until the compressor shuts off,
then it sounds like you put
a handful of marbles into a metal coffee can, and shook it. Sometimes its
VERY loud, other times not so much. The rattle sound volume is totally
random.
Its been replaced and banished to the garage for months, where it runs
just
fine, doing duty for kitchen overflow, extra ice, and beer.
I have a friend who needs a refrigerator. Before I give it to him, any
guesses as to the cause of the racket, and how it will affect its life
span?
TIA

Could be a fan bearing or other bearing for the ice mech. If said
friend needs a fridge, give it to him.

Fridges are killers for odd noises. About a year ago when I refitted our
kitchen, we bought a fancy (and very expensive !) black Bosch fridge /
freezer. I have no complaint at all at the way it works, and it's virtually
silent when running. But every now and then, it emits the loudest CRACK! you
have ever heard - sometimes a double one. It is so loud that you would swear
that something must have broken. Sometimes, when I am sitting here in the
dead of night, and the house is all quiet, it will do it and nearly make me
jump out of my skin ...

Arfa