Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Large spark in CMS motor

Leon wrote:
"litteratuer" takenonotice@all wrote in message

That makes sense to me.

According to a table I have, for 100 octane gasoline vapor, when mixed
with air, the explosive (flammable) range is from 1.4% to 7.6%.
vapor/air mixture, - a condition which, as you say, would rarely be met.

And rarely is the event that I am talking about. Rarely does not equal
absolutley not, and with millions upon millions of these vehicled out there
you still don't hear of a problem. There has to be a stop gap safe guard
that takes care of those rare situations such as when there is an accident
with a ruptured tank and no explosion by fault of the fuel pump. There are
simply way too many conditions that can and do occour that would create the
right rare situation.

I don't think there's any evidence to support that hypothesis that the
conditions can be made right so easily as you suppose--in fact, I think
the evidence clearly demonstrates the opposite--that is, despite the
number of vehicles, the conditions under which the fuel pump is an
ignition source _and_ the tank vapors are in an explosive mixture state
is simultaneously, are, simply not events that occur with any frequency
at all.

Again, all these scenarios you've brought up simply don't lead to
nothing but a dilute air:vapor mix in just the right
proportions--there's still far to much fuel.

Again, I don't think it is impossible, only highly improbable.