Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast
J. P. Gilliver (John) J. P. Gilliver (John) is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

In message , Paul
Martin writes:
In article ,
Zero Tolerance wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:26:32 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Zero Tolerance
writes:
Osram 15w (75w equiv) - 900 lumens
Philips 20w (100w equiv) - 1200 lumens

Bloggs 60W (60W equivalent - i. e. a filament bulb) - ? lumens?

Somewhere between 700-900 lumens, according to the first page of a
(not necessarily particularly scientific) google search.

Osram 42W Halogen (60W equiv) = 630 lm

Yes, I've noticed these creeping in, despite the relatively smaller
energy saving.

One daft thing is that you can still get higher wattage tungsten bulbs,
as long as they're not pearl finish (frosted).

But not higher-wattage CFLs! (Apart from the below.)

Of course, it does nothing to relieve the world of 500W halogen yard
search lights.

I've seen advertised (in those leaflets that fall out of magazines, and
similar places) a security light with a coiled fluorescent in it
(thirtysomething watts, I think). Anyone used these? Do they have enough
mercury in them (or whatever) so that they come on quickly enough to be
used as a security light?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

Hartley's First Law:
You can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to float on his back,
you've got something.