Erik

Default Looking for advice on sliding compound miter saws

Buy the saw that you can set the miter and bevels most
accurately. If the angle scales are to small you can't
read/set to 1'deg. which is a must if you're going to do
crown molding accurately. Get good after-market blade, not a
thin-nerf, they flex to much unless you go slow and steady.
Don't worry about the fence - add a sacrificial fence full
length and use it for zero clearance on straight cuts.
That Ridgid MSUV is neat. I wish I had one - got a POS
portable stand.

--
Erik "Grumpa" Ahrens
Apprentice Termite

"Joshua" wrote in message
m...
| Hello, everyone -
|
| I am in the market for a 12" SCMS and could use some
advice with the
| purchase. I have already read every post I could find on
the subject
| and was looking for more recent opinions (there are some
newer saws
| out).
|
| I'm looking for a saw that will really be a "jack of all
trades". I
| will be using it for deck framing in the immediate future,
followed by
| molding and trim work and some furniture work. I won't be
| transporting it around too much, so size is not that much
of a
| concern. (I do plan on mounting it on Ridgid's MSUV,
though, so I can
| wheel it around the house and store it easily when my
workshop reverts
| back to a garage
|
| I have done a whole bunch of research and have narrowed it
down to
| three models, each with a distinct set of advantages:
|
| 1. Ridgid MS1290LZ
| Pros: Big capacity, decent price, I like the big
turntable, seems
| to have above-average dust collection
capabilities,
| laser-guide,
| has all the miter and bevel detents I could want,
good
| detent-override mechanism, good bevel lock
mechanism.
| Cons: This sucker is huge. Dimensionally, this saw is
probably 50%
| larger than the other two I am looking at. Comes
with a
| so-so
| (60-tooth) blade. Quality of Ridgid's newer
tools?

| 2. Makita LS1212
| Pros: Compact design. Both sliders use linear bearings
(most
| SCMSes
| use a nylon bushing on one). Flip-up fence
feature.
| 96-tooth
| blade. Winner of a couple magazine comparisons
(Workbench
| and
| Popular Mechanics). Currently comes with a bonus
14.4v
| drill.
| Cons: No bevel detents at all. No miter detents for
crown molding.
| No laser (does that really matter, though?).
Also, I
| question
| the long-term stability of the geometry of this
saw. Because
| the rails slide into the base instead of through
the neck,
| when the saw is locked in "chop-mode" there is an
effective
| 12"
| or so lever arm from where the head assembly is
supported.

| 3. Bosch 4412
| Pros: Great ergonomics (bevel & miter locks up front,
| multi-position
| handle, etc.). Nice extra features like the
table
| extensions,
| stock-stops, etc. I have had great luck w/ Bosch
in the past
| (router & jigsaw). Decent 80-tooth blade.
| Cons: $100 more than the other two. Several people
have mentioned
| non-flat tables and/or fences.
|
| If you have experience with any of these saws, I would
love to hear