Posted to alt.home.repair
Lefty[_2_] Lefty[_2_] is offline

Default "Kick starting" Beckett oil burner

"Jordan" wrote in message
In order to get my Beckett burner to start on my oil boiler I have to
give it a little bit of a kick on the side. I am getting a whole new
system in a few days because of the age of everything, but I would
like to not have to kick this stupid thing every time 20 minutes
before I need hot water.

Is there something I can check or clean off that might be causing the
sticking?

Protectorelay is likely the cause, if it is indeed not doing "anything" and
a kick starts it. That certainly sounds like a relay that is sticky or has
very dirty or burnt contacts. That's the box with the red reset button in
it.

If the unit is already humming before you kick it, like the motor may be
running without doing anything, then I would say that the pump coupling
inside has split open. If that is the case, then it's not going to last
much longer without a serviceman.

If you mess with it yourself, be damn careful of that ignition transformer,
or it will fix "your" wagon.

HTH, Lefty