Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Kenmore Microwave Oven goes belly up - twice in 2 years.

Tony wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote:

RF wrote:

I have discovered which oven not to buy but it's a bit late now.
The Model Number is: 72163252301 and, within the warranty, it made a
loud pop, then started a very loud buzzing and finally a smell of
burning plastic. I pulled the cord and brought it back to Sears. A
week later I had it back. That is just about a year ago and it now
has repeated.
This oven was very lightly used - not more than 20 mins/day.

If anyone has had this experience I'd appreciate the info. I also
note that the way it is assembled seems to make access more
difficult.

The way it is assembled is specificallly designed to make access
difficult. There is a power supply inside of that unit capable of
producing 4000 volts at a half an amp, which is guaranteed to kill
you.

As if that wasn't enough, the capacitor can retain sufficient enough
energy to cause a ventricular fibrillation long after the unit has
been turned off and unplugged.

Microwave ovens are rather simple devices, but unless you have the
specialized know-how in dealing with them, your life isn't worth it.

Fair and acceptable warnings to the complete idiot, but I believe
you're lapsing into hysterical hyperbole. Electricity is *not*
"guaranteed to kill you." It's only theoretically possible that you
could die from opening up a microwave to fix it. If you do
accidentally touch the wrong thing, it'll give you a shock, which
will remind you which part not to touch.

Most of those theoretically dangerous parts are hidden away in
secondary cages anyway. You can easily open up a microwave and fix it
without having a panic attack.

Well "Smitty", I don't think your perspective of high voltage/high
current appliances is a very practical one. Beyond that, suggesting
that the innards of a microwave are anything less than lethal is
beyond negligent, and I'd say foolhardy as well.

Jon

Well "Jon," I actually think my perspective is extremely practical.
It's a perspective that allows things to be repaired. This (a.h.r.) is
a DIY group, after all. If we were all terrified to repair things, not
much would get done. All those "Danger, Will Robinson" labels that you
see on things were penned by lawyers.

My GF and I recently repaired her microwave. We found a nice schematic
and troubleshooting flowchart inside, and replaced a $20 thermal
switch. Replacing the unit would have cost several hundred. Peanuts to
a lawyer, but not to me.

Oh, yeah, I also stared death bravely in the face and got her TV
working again last week, too. Another sinister appliance, with
voltages just waiting to leap out and kill people in their sleep.

I've been shocked numerous times by TV's and video monitor High
Voltages, about 35,000 volts. Had it arc about an inch to my finger.
Even worse was touching the case of the horizontal output transistor.
That leaves a small burn and you get the aroma of burning skin. Please
keep that in mind when I post something really stupid! ;-)

Years ago when I was very young and tubes were used as rectifiers in the
flyback cages. I stood there and watched a man demonstrate how he fixed
TV's found on the dump and various places, with tubes, also found in
TV's. Any ways, as he pulled the tubes while the unit was on (operating)
and replacing them on the fly, it was kind of funny when he reached
inside the cage of the HV compartment to pull the rectifier tube.

I can say that this person is still alive today, and the sheet rock
on that wall had to be repair later on.

Lesson learned. Make sure you have plenty of space between you and the
wall, so not to create more damaging repairs!