Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Help to mount light on metal pole barn

On Sep 28, 8:59*am, stryped wrote:
I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

It would be a piece of cake if you were mounting it on something
flat , wouldn't it.
Did this at work a couple of years ago on a metal building. . Mounted
the electrical box on a heavy gauge piece of aluminum a couple of
inches larger than the hole then pop riveted it to the building. This
didn't start out as the plan. I cut the hole and then realized I had
screwed up and couldn't get the box to fit in the corrugations so I
covered the hole temporarily with a scrap piece of metal until I could
back up and rethink what I was doing. After I got my patch up I
realized that was the fix. I didnt have anything to fill the large
cavities created by the corrugations, someone else did that and I am
not sure of what he use. Looked like some kind of rubbery caulk, I
don't think it was silicone.

Jimmie