Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Help to mount light on metal pole barn

stryped wrote:
I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered
above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic
box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However, being centered
it is over a raised rib where two panels meet and it looks like I made
a mess. It was hard to cut and I just stopped. Any ideas on how to
properly mount this light and make it look ok and not leak?

Generally, one uses an exterior metal box and only bores a hole the
miminum size needed to run the conduit through the siding on the flat so
you don't have any large holes to seal up.

If you've already made a cut, I'd suggest patching it back best as can
and sealing it and then covering it w/ the exterior box as noted above.

You can either make a filler for the valley on either side if need it to
stabilize the box or many of the siding manufacturers have specialty
parts to fit their specific patterns for the purpose.

If you select the proper outdoor box it will have seals and you won't
have the problems other poster talks about.