Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Switch off at the socket?

Derek Geldard wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:01:41 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I am getting pretty bored with your inability to do maths, read and
maintain logical argument, do honest research without speciously
introducing straw men at every turn.

But,

- world uranium output is what it is because no more is currently
needed. There is plenty more there.The use of CURRENT production to
imply a limit on FUTURE production is basically worthy only of a
green****er or politician.

-300GW is a figure obtained by taking the governments figures for total
energy consumption, and multiplying it by appropriate efficiency figures
to map it into putative electrical generation figures. Its pretty much
the same as taking the current peak electrical demand and dividing it by
the 27% or so of energy that is actually currently used to generate
electrical power. I.e. we need ABOUT 4 times the current generating
capacity to eliminate fossil fuels from everything we do. Now whereas
windmillers like to take peak output and map that to percentage of
current electrical generation, handily neglecting the fact that
electrical generation is only about 1/4 of what we burn CO2 wise, and
windmills never operate at their peak for long, I actually am trying to
sole an energy supply problem. Not win contracts for windmills. The lot
has to go. All fossil fuel, apart from stuff that simply cant be done in
any other way. Mainly military and aircraft use.

Thereby making us strategically independent of oil and gas producing
countries.

Or windmills that are very vulnerable to terrorists, vandals, or
probably even someone with a stanley knife.

And with a little stockpiling able to be self sufficient for a lot
longer than we are with no gas or oil or coal now, and would ever be
with windmills, which require a LOT if imported materials to construct them.

The state that this goverment has got this country into, out of
incompetance and rthe need to placate the lily-livered lefties
because they need their vote, I seriously doubt we could maintain a
country full of windmills because we don't have the capability to make
the replacement parts inside the country if ever the chips were down.

Let alone the sort of dedicated all weathers get the job done at any
cost sort of professional technicians to keep em working.

Can YOU see the usual council estate chav up a ladder in the North sea
on a freezing rain lashed January night, saying 'pass up the spare ball
race, while I tap this one out gently: Mustn't leave Southend without
'Big Brother, must we?'

Derek