BeerBoy

Default Looking for advice on sliding compound miter saws

Have a look at the Makita 10" (LS1013). It's cutting capacity is close to
the 12"ers but it's a lot cheaper. The prices seem to have come down on
these lately and they are always highly rated tools. The cutting capacity
is 3 5/8 x 12 at 90 degrees and the 12" is 3 7/8 x 12 1/4. Not a big
difference. The DeWalt is a 4 x 12. It's not a big enough difference to me
to justify the extra price. Blades are cheaper too.
Also, have a look at http://www.powertools.info/default.asp for comparing
tools.
---BeerBoy

"Joshua" wrote in message
m...
Hello, everyone -

I am in the market for a 12" SCMS and could use some advice with the
purchase. I have already read every post I could find on the subject
and was looking for more recent opinions (there are some newer saws
out).

I'm looking for a saw that will really be a "jack of all trades". I
will be using it for deck framing in the immediate future, followed by
molding and trim work and some furniture work. I won't be
transporting it around too much, so size is not that much of a
concern. (I do plan on mounting it on Ridgid's MSUV, though, so I can
wheel it around the house and store it easily when my workshop reverts
back to a garage

I have done a whole bunch of research and have narrowed it down to
three models, each with a distinct set of advantages:

1. Ridgid MS1290LZ
Pros: Big capacity, decent price, I like the big turntable, seems
to have above-average dust collection capabilities,
laser-guide,
has all the miter and bevel detents I could want, good
detent-override mechanism, good bevel lock mechanism.
Cons: This sucker is huge. Dimensionally, this saw is probably 50%
larger than the other two I am looking at. Comes with a
so-so
(60-tooth) blade. Quality of Ridgid's newer tools?

2. Makita LS1212
Pros: Compact design. Both sliders use linear bearings (most
SCMSes
use a nylon bushing on one). Flip-up fence feature.
96-tooth
blade. Winner of a couple magazine comparisons (Workbench
and
Popular Mechanics). Currently comes with a bonus 14.4v
drill.
Cons: No bevel detents at all. No miter detents for crown molding.
No laser (does that really matter, though?). Also, I
question
the long-term stability of the geometry of this saw. Because
the rails slide into the base instead of through the neck,
when the saw is locked in "chop-mode" there is an effective
12"
or so lever arm from where the head assembly is supported.

3. Bosch 4412
Pros: Great ergonomics (bevel & miter locks up front,
multi-position
handle, etc.). Nice extra features like the table
extensions,
stock-stops, etc. I have had great luck w/ Bosch in the past
(router & jigsaw). Decent 80-tooth blade.
Cons: $100 more than the other two. Several people have mentioned
non-flat tables and/or fences.

If you have experience with any of these saws, I would love to hear
your
thoughts!

Thanks.

- Josh