Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default no-cap fridges

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 23:36:35 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann writes:

The compressor tried but won't start.

Are you getting a clicking sound (i.e. overcurrent shutoff) or a
grinding sound (loss of lube)? Did this happen just after he moved
the fridge (broke loose the crud at the bottom of the compressor)?

It's cycling on overcurrent.

There's your clue. The motor is either grinding, not turning, stuck,
or fried (shorted winding). In all cases, the motor/compressor
assembly appears to dead. It's sealed, unrepairable, and probably a
good candidate for eWaste.

Been there for 10+ years.

Past performance is not a good indication for future results. Works
for stocks, investments, and refrigerators.

It's labeled "PTC Relay" on the schematic. Depending on the model,
you might get lucky and find that it's removable.

It is. But there's no cap.

I haven't bothered to check, but I don't recall seeing a starting
cazapitor in any of the assorted refrigerators I've owned or attempted
to repair in perhaps 20 years.

GE Hotpoint CTX18BACGRWW.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=205542&diagram_id=21197026#d21 197026

Thanks. The diagram shows that the relay is replaceable. However, I
doubt that's the problem. It might be that the overload sensor is
tripping too early. Tear the relay and overload assembly apart, clean
all the junk out, clean the contacts, and look for damage. You might
get lucky.

Read the following:
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html#clicking
Note the photos of the various relay failures.

I'm not sure I want to suggest this because there's too many ways this
can go awry. Just be very careful. Take an insulated stick and jam
the relay closed so the compressor is running. MEASURE the AC current
or load with a AC wattmeter or clamp on ammeter. If it's sky high,
give up. If it seems in spec, listen to the compressor. If it sounds
like it's grinding, you're out of coolant. If it wobbles, you've
blown a bushing. If it purrs, it's ok and there's something wrong
with the relay or its the overload detector.

The people here are far smarter.....

Nope. Just mention something political and watch the average IQ drop
dramatically. Also, I sometimes get bored fixing computahs and
printahs. Next time, I'll play dumb.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D