Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to do this

On Sep 27, 10:14*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 27, 8:44 pm, "Markndawoods" wrote:
Shelves of 3/4 ply, need to have dividers every 2"

The supply store did not have anything like traditional 1/4 HB for the
dividers, I ended up buying some 3/16 ply to use. Maybe a mistake.

How would you cut a 3/16 groove in the 3/4 boards? (I need them every 2",
making a total of 32 slots)

My sawblade is 1/8, my smallest router bit is 1/4 sigh

Suggestions please!

markndawoods

Do you have a sled for your saw?

If you have a sled, you could drill a 1/8" hole in the base (not all the
way through) near the fence at a point 2" from the blade, then drop a
short piece of 1/8" rod in the hole so that it protrudes up from the
sled surface a short distance (somewhat less then the depth of your dado
cuts). *Position the board against the pin, make a cut, then reposition
the board such the pin protrudes up into the slot you just cut, then
repeat as necessary. *Drill another hole close to the first one, but
1/16" further away from the blade, reposition the pin in that hole, then
repeat the process, making sure to snug the board up against the pin
each time (since the new slot will now be 1/16" wider than the pin).
Test the positioning of that second hole on some scrap first; you may
need to reposition the pin by drilling a different hole if the width of
your dado is incorrect.

--
If it ain't perfect, improve it...
But don't break it while you're fixin' it!

Yup, got it. That would work nicely.
If your sled is wide enough, do both top and bottom shelves at the
same time, as one slab and then rip it lengthwise into two pieces.