Posted to alt.home.repair
MikeB[_3_] MikeB[_3_] is offline

Default Jammed garage door

On Sep 27, 2:56*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Hi guys, I hope someone here can help me out. We're in a bit of a jam!

Our garage door is jammed. No amount of force seems to be able to move
it. I have been able to lift it about 18 inches using our two car
jacks, but no further.

I have disconnected the electrical opener, so it is not working
against that.

At the top of to door openeing, on the wall is a horizontal bar with
two coil springs. At the end of the bar are two pulleys with cable
that go to the bottom of the door. I think this is a counter-weighting
mechanism to enable easy lifting of the door. The right-hand spring
seems broken. The cable on the right is slack, the cable on the left
is very tight.

The door is jammed solid, I cannot move it up or down by more than an
inch or so. I checked the rollers on the sides and they do not seem
jammed. Any ideas on how I can free up to doors? We need our cars!

Thanks!

Hi,
One spring being broken, one spring torsion can't lift the door which
weighs couple hundred pounds. Try to find the jam, and try to lift the
door giving more push on the broken spring side. Then leave the door
open and call for the service. Make sure cable is not tangled and
rollers are all *on track(not jumped out). At least you should be able
to open it with one spring working. I once replaced a broken spring
myself not easy but can be done being very careful for the safety.
Took me a whole day including the trip to hardware store for parts.

I just don't seem to see a jam. But there probably is one, since even
our car jacks have difficulty lifting the door and a car jack can lift
more than a couple of 100 lbs. Will have to wait for this service guy
to see what's up. This couldn't have happened at a worse time. We
just got a call that our daughter's Girl Scout troop was returning
earlier than expected from camp, both our cars are in the garage, it's
a Sunday and my wife wanted to go to churc and tomorrow we have to get
my daughter to school and we have to get to work. Murphy's law at its
best.