Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Large spark in CMS motor

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:10:33 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
.. .

Nope. Not any more. The engine controls recycle fumes back to the
tank. Tanks have been sealed for decades.

Yes the engine compartment does recycle fumes back to the tank but there is
a lot of AIR that goes with it. Additionally there are lots of peole
driving around with lost gas caps, check engine lights and all. And again,
the tank is not sealed when you open it up to fill it with gas. There is
just way too much of a chance of the perfect combination for the electric
motor to set off an explosion if there was not a fool proof way to arrest
the spark. How that is accomplished even the Olds factory rep could not
explain when I was the service sales manager back in the 80's.

Nonsense. There is no air in there at all, even without a gas cap the
vapor pressure of the gas will push any out.

But gasolinr does on a Gm electric fuel pump. My fuel pump in on my 1975
Olds failed. I dropped the tank and replaced the pump, it is attached to
the tank unit/gas gauge float assembly. I cut it open and the thing was
spottless inside but the brushes were totally worn out. Gasoline went in
one end of the motor and exited on the other. On one end of the motor was
the plastic pump.

Sure. No one was arguing that point. It's hardly dangerous.

Obviousely but the simple explanation has not yet been explained to me.

Explanation for what?