Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Large spark in CMS motor

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:46:09 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

Leon wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Sometimes my old Skil looks like one of those 4th of July sparklers inside
the case.
I don't know if it's normal or healthy... I just know I won't use it
around open cans lacquer or paint thinner. :-)

You would probably do well to not use any thing that sparks around flamable
vapors.
I am still in wonderment having retired from the automotive industry how GM
prevented gas tank explosions. They used submerged electric fuel pumps and
the gasoline literally went through the motor and brushes. No, gas tanks do
not always have gasoline in them so being constantly submerged is not the
answer.

I'm guessing the pump was low enough as to always be submerged, even
when the tank was "empty?"

Even when the tank is "empty" it's not empty. It's full of gasoline
fumes, which without air (oxygen) aren't dangerous at all. ...and
there isn't any air in there either.

Liquid-fueled rocket and jet engines commonly use the fuel and
oxidizer as a coolant.

Reminds me of the Mythbusters episode in which they *could not* get a
gasoline trail to ignite with a burning cigarette, like you see in the
movies.
Apparently, smoldering tobacco embers are not hot enough to ignite
gasoline vapors.

Another interesting fact from my electrical engineer friend who works
for a huge electric producer...
Those giant electric turbine generators are cooled with direct water
immersion. Turns out pure H2O doesn't conduct electricity. It's all the
minerals and other stuff in water that does.

The water going through turbines is hardly pure. I doubt water
touches the generator windings themselves.