Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Jon Danniken[_2_] Jon Danniken[_2_] is offline

Default Kenmore Microwave Oven goes belly up - twice in 2 years.

Smitty Two wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
RF wrote:

I have discovered which oven not to buy but it's a bit late now.
The Model Number is: 72163252301 and, within the warranty, it made a
loud pop, then started a very loud buzzing and finally a smell of
burning plastic. I pulled the cord and brought it back to Sears. A
week later I had it back. That is just about a year ago and it now
has repeated.
This oven was very lightly used - not more than 20 mins/day.

If anyone has had this experience I'd appreciate the info. I also
note that the way it is assembled seems to make access more
difficult.

The way it is assembled is specificallly designed to make access
difficult. There is a power supply inside of that unit capable of
producing 4000 volts at a half an amp, which is guaranteed to kill
you.

As if that wasn't enough, the capacitor can retain sufficient enough
energy to cause a ventricular fibrillation long after the unit has
been turned off and unplugged.

Microwave ovens are rather simple devices, but unless you have the
specialized know-how in dealing with them, your life isn't worth it.

Fair and acceptable warnings to the complete idiot, but I believe
you're lapsing into hysterical hyperbole. Electricity is *not*
"guaranteed to kill you." It's only theoretically possible that you
could die from opening up a microwave to fix it. If you do
accidentally touch the wrong thing, it'll give you a shock, which
will remind you which part not to touch.

Most of those theoretically dangerous parts are hidden away in
secondary cages anyway. You can easily open up a microwave and fix it
without having a panic attack.

Well "Smitty", I don't think your perspective of high voltage/high current
appliances is a very practical one. Beyond that, suggesting that the
innards of a microwave are anything less than lethal is beyond negligent,
and I'd say foolhardy as well.

Jon