Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default no-cap fridges

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:28:31 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

I'm helping a friend fix a fridge remotely.

Beware of friends bearing broken devices.

The compressor tried but won't start.

Are you getting a clicking sound (i.e. overcurrent shutoff) or a
grinding sound (loss of lube)? Did this happen just after he moved
the fridge (broke loose the crud at the bottom of the compressor)?

I suggested he check continuity on the run and start windings, the
starting relay, and the starting cap. Ooops, it has none!

http://sendspace.com/file/emdg1e

It certainly does have a relay. Look on the compressor schematic.
It's labeled "PTC Relay" on the schematic. Depending on the model,
you might get lucky and find that it's removable.

It's been 20 years since I took Machines, but I got an A.

You get an "F" for this posting. Asking a repair question without
supplying the manufactory and model number is a capital crime. Turn
in your deploma and slap yourself on the wrist with a wooden ruler.

Also, while there may be some electronics inside a fridge, methinks
that one of the appliance repair forums or newsgroups might be a more
appropriate place to ask your question.

[And the
fridge is not much younger...] But I don't recall any capacitor-less
single-phase AC motors with good starting torque.

What gives?

If it's 20 years old, it's quite possible that something in the
compressor has worn out. A freon leak will eventually cause the
compressor to lose lubrication and grind to a halt.

This might be helpful:
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html#clicking

--
Jeff Liebermann