Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
J. P. Gilliver (John) J. P. Gilliver (John) is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes:
[]
EVERY time a windmill turns, you spend a penny on the electricity, and
tuppence on taxes to get it to you.

I may, but someone on Egg may not ...

Burke concludes: "It is hard to argue that this is not a subsidy."
"""

I _think_ the post you snipped that from was talking about nuclear at
that point; IIRR it was something to do with Thorpe.

Thats rich. EVERTYTHING about windpower is a subsidy.

I fear the anti-windies are as bad as the pro-windies: complete dislike
(which, I must say, seems to actually approach hate) of wind is as daft
as relying on it. There are certainly places where it is worth doing:
Egg, as discussed, previously had to import diesel by ferry. Of course,
they still do, and they still have to keep the diesel station in working
order - but they have to import _less_ diesel. For them, where the
transport costs of importing the alternative are relatively high (and
where it's fairly windy most of the time), wind is certainly worth
doing. For how much of the rest of the country it is viable, we can
argue endlessly - but to say that it is none, seems at least unwise.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"Forget computers; it's hard enough getting humans to pass the Turing test."
- David Bedno