Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Large spark in CMS motor

Electric brake shorts out the motor winding and it generates
current in the winding in reverse - generating voltage - and sparks
if the brushes are not smooth on. The short isn't hard, but soft
through a low resistance value.

Good find.
Martin

Leon wrote:
"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
When using my Kobalt CMS, I notice a large spark from the motor
compartment
when I turn off the saw. Sometimes it looks like it fills the whole
compartment. Is this a sign the brushes need replaced?

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Sounds like a normal condition when an electronic brake in engaged.