Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Tony Sivori Tony Sivori is offline

Default Usenet spam: Postings that promote generic products over brand names

New Guy wrote:

Does anyone have any theory as to who is responsible for these
anti-brand-name postings?

Who would have a reason to post this material periodically on usenet?

Is someone getting paid by generic product makers to put the word out
that generic products are just as good, if not cheaper, than brand-name
counterparts?

In other words - is this an example of "professional" usenet spam, as
part of a public marketing campaign?

Are there any known examples of this type of usenet spam?

Is there no way for these posts to be filtered properly by cleanfeed and
noceum?

Just because you may not like it, or it may be off topic, or that it has
been posted before does not make it spam.

On Usenet, being BI 20 makes it spam. The OP is working on it, but he
isn't there yet.

That said, I'm not sure why the OP didn't post it to
misc.consumers.frugal-living where it would have been directly on topic.

My guess was that it is a website article, re-posted to newsgroups
verbatim. After searching Google, that doesn't appear to be the case.

I think it is a decent post, and I agree with most of what it says. What
the OP doesn't mention is that sometimes store brands are noticeably
inferior to the brand names.

By the way, New Guy, if it were spam you would have done the spammer an
enormous favor by re-posting the spam in its entirety in your reply. The
spammer would be filtered on many servers and in many individuals
newsreaders.

By re-posting the entire article from your account, you enabled him to
effectively evade all filters.

--
Tony Sivori