Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dmacq@erols.com is offline

Default Removing tile

On Sep 25, 3:08*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Sep 25, 12:51*pm, " wrote:

I have a house built in the 1950s with plaster walls. The kitchen has
yellow tile on the walls that extends from the countertop to the
bottom of the cabinets. The wife wants something different. The tile
guy says the old tile has to be removed before anything new can be put
up.

Any advice on how to do this without destroying more of the wall than
necessary?

Would something like this work?http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32940

Bob F has the right suggestion. *Sometimes they come off easy,
sometimes not so much.

Best if you can start where there is no tile and work from there. *If
not try and chisel some grout out around one tile and pry against an
adjacent tile to pop it out.

Bob F was right. I bought a 4" thin fairly sharp putty knife on the
recommendation of the guy at Lowe's and it slides right under these
babies and off they come intact. At least the first four did. ;-)

Thanks for all the excellent advice.

Now can someone tell me how I can get my wife to make up her mind on
the cabinets, appliances, counter tops,etc?