Posted to rec.woodworking
Klas from Creum Klas from Creum is offline

Default Metric

On Sep 8, 3:12*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Greg Neill" wrote in message

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
I now make parts for different people who e-mail/fax me drawings so I
can quote on them.
Some parts are such that I can't tell what they are or what they're
the purpose of them are.
Sometimes I see dimensions as obviously imperial ones, sometime it is
hard to tell, especially when I have NO clue what these parts are.
Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what system is used as I work in
both metric and imperial.
But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an
archaic system?

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9974/metricmap.jpg

Ok, What ia half of 5.3 mm?

2.65 mm

Can you see an mark 2.65 mm?

What's half of 5.3 inches?

2.65 "

http://snickrit.se or very soon diyfurnitureplans.com
In my fathers workshop in the 40ies (myself 13 years old) we handled
both inperial (25.4 mm) and english (27 mm) inches plus naturally
the metric system that was standard for all but the timber and
woodwork industry at that time.
The lumber was measured and sold by english inches in cubic foot, the
workshop workers often spoke of imperial measuremenst, Plans where all
in
the metric system most in centimeters and millimeter thus an inch was
said to be 2 centimeter and 5.4 millimeter.
Today all is in millimeter.
French got metric at the revolution 1889 The imperial Russia got
metric at the revolution1918 We in Scandinavia got officially metric
sometimes 188? without a revolution why the change was not complete
before sometim e in 60ies.
I recommend to buy a measuring tape marked in both imperial and metric
and slowly go metric.
Klas