Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Finger joints

wrote:

I'd like to join 5/4 boards end to end and am wondering about making
finger joints. There are many router bits available and I'd like some
input of their use.

Finger joints like this are mostly done in factories where they have
specialized equipment to do it right. I don't think you can do it in
this situation.

For the curious, I'm replacing some of the trim boards on my house
that have rotted at the end(s) because no caulk was applied when
installed 15 years ago and I figure it will be cheaper to cut off the
rot and splice a new section than to replace the entire board. 5/4
stock is not cheap!

How are the trim boards joined now? Not sure what trim board you are
speaking of.. fascia probably not joined at all, just abutted end to end?

5/4 stock is expensive for a couple of reasons, usually it is select,
clear lumber so it starts out expensive. Wolmanized decking is 5/4 and
it is cheap, and not prone to rot.. If you had a source of quality
treated lumber, perhaps thats an option? Or something like this:

http://www.versatex.com/trimboard.php

Probably real expensive, but maintenance and rot free I'd expect.

Of course, a scarf joint is a possibility but it
seems as if a finger joint may be the way to go.

Scarfs would be easier and much better.

I guess it would be easier than a finger joint but only a boat builder
would think a scarf joint easy:-)

My advice is if you are removing the whole piece of trim, then just
replace the whole thing, forget messing with it, the cost of 5/4 just
isn't that big a deal in the scheme of things... My lumber yard, before
they closed, sold 5/4 but didn't carry it. You would pick out what ever
2by lumber you wanted and they planed it to 5/4 for you. The price
was whatever the 2by price was...

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/